The Leadership Essay Contest focuses on the roles of leadership and character in the U.S. Sea Services from the perspective of tomorrow's leaders. Junior officers (LCDR/Major and below)from the U.S. Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard are eligible to participate.
- Essays must be no more than 2,000 words maximum, excluding end notes and sources.
- Include word count on title page of the essay.
- Essays are judged in the blind. Do not include author name(s) on title page or within the essay.
- Submit essay as a Word document at www.usni.org/leadershipessay by 30 November 2021.
- Essay must be original and not previously published (online or in print) or being considered for publication elsewhere.
First Prize: $5,000
Second Prize: $2,500
Third Prize: $1,500
The Proceedings staff members will evaluate every essay and screen the top essays to a special Essay Selection Committee of at least six members who will include two members of the Naval Institute’s Editorial Board and four subject matter experts.
Announcement of the Winners
Winners will be published in a future issue of Proceedings.