The island in the center of Pearl Harbor provided a vulnerable vantage point for experiencing the devastating Japanese onslaught of 7 December 1941. The mooring quays off one of Ford Island’s flanks marked the outline of what was then known as Battleship Row—where capital ships were attacked relentlessly and put out of action. Enemy warplanes also strafed and bombed the island itself.
At the time, Ford Island was the site of a naval air station and a home for Navy families. The size and speed of naval aircraft have long since rendered the air station obsolete, but officers’ houses have remained, as have the memories recorded by those who were children during the Japanese attack.
The 1941 occupants of the grandest residence, Quarters K, were Rear Admiral Patrick N. L. Bellinger, commander of Patrol Wing Two, and his family. The house has since become the domain for the Commander Submarine Force Pacific Fleet (ComSubPac). Neighbors of that admiral are Katrina and Kyle Luvsovsky. Captain Luvsovsky is the SubPac supply officer, and Katrina works for the Episcopal Diocese of Hawaii Office of the Bishop.