As the U.S. Marine Corps entered 2017, Commandant Neller issued a message to all Marines. In it he laid out a set of “resolutions for all of us to follow in 2017” in order “to continue to adapt, innovate, and change to meet future threats”:
1. Improve readiness because we need more Marines and equipment ready to fight now.
2. Modernize the force because our future readiness depends upon it.
3. Become smarter because your mind is your most important weapon.
4. Take better care of ourselves because combat is the most extreme and demanding test.
5. “Protect What You’ve Earned” because our success in battle depends upon teamwork.
6. Have more fun as Marines because it is a privilege to be a part of this elite warfighting organization.2