Test your sea legs with this naval and nautical quiz, and check your answers on page 95. If you miss ten or fewer, you are a real sea dog. If you miss more than ten—well, maybe you’re still a pup.
1. Only two successful torpedo attacks have been made since 1945. What were they?
2. “The bends” are rarely fatal. What is a far greater hazard to divers?
3. In the early 1940s, the German Navy planned—but never built—an aircraft carrier. What was it to be named?
4. What was the first Soviet submarine class equipped with cruise missiles?
5. Where is the Spanish Main?
6. What air field do you fly over when landing to the east at Honolulu International Airport?
7. On covert missions, the SEALs may use which “spray and pray” weapon?
8. What naval catastrophe occurred on 10 December 1941?
9. It is about 14.7 pounds per square inch. What is it?
10. Why were ships “dazzle painted"?
11. You are issued an MCI-IB, what are you planning to do?
12. The Battle of Actium (31 B.C.) might have been forgotten if not for the famous commanders. Who were they?