This html article is produced from an uncorrected text file through optical character recognition. Prior to 1940 articles all text has been corrected, but from 1940 to the present most still remain uncorrected. Artifacts of the scans are misspellings, out-of-context footnotes and sidebars, and other inconsistencies. Adjacent to each text file is a PDF of the article, which accurately and fully conveys the content as it appeared in the issue. The uncorrected text files have been included to enhance the searchability of our content, on our site and in search engines, for our membership, the research community and media organizations. We are working now to provide clean text files for the entire collection.
By A. D. Baker III, Editor, Combat Fleets of the World
On 8 November 1991, Uruguay took delivery of four 481-ton, steel-hulled Kondor-II-class East German minesweepers: the Riesa (renamed the Temerario, 31); the Eilenburg (renamed the Valiente, 32), the Bernau (renamed the Fortuna, 33), and the Eisleben (renamed the Audaz, 34)—the latter seen here in May 1991 wearing her Bundesmarine pendant number, M-2671. Also transferred were the 1,732-ton Piast- class salvage ship Otto von Guericke (renamed the Vanguardia) and the 140-gross-registered-ton large harbor tug Zingst (renamed Banco Ortiz). All had been disarmed.
A Soviet Golf-II-class diesel-powered ballistic missile submarine is under tow here in the Mediterranean to Aliaga, Turkey, for scrapping. This unit was one of six transferred to the Baltic in the mid-1970s. The last of the2,900-ton submerged displacement, 98.9-meter-long Golf-IIs was decommissioned on 1 October 1990, and one is to become a museum ship. The 23 Golfs originally carried the surface-launched SS-N-4 ballistic missile, later replaced in most of the elass by the submerged-launched SS- ,5. Several were converted to mis- S|le test and auxiliary roles, while components for a 24th were delivered China and became China'ssubma- r'ne ballistic missile trials ship.
The 3,500-ton, 36-foot, Croitor-class support tender Constanta visited Genoa, Italy, 5-6 September 1991 for the 499th anniversary of Columbus’s voyage to America and later visited France before returning home. Unusual for ships configured primarily for a repair and stores-support role, the two Croitors are equipped with two five-tubed antisubmarine warfare rocket launchers on the bow, as well as antiaircraft guns and point-defense Grail-type missiles; they also have a hangar aft for an Alouette-IIl helicopter, built in Romania under license from Franee.