This html article is produced from an uncorrected text file through optical character recognition. Prior to 1940 articles all text has been corrected, but from 1940 to the present most still remain uncorrected. Artifacts of the scans are misspellings, out-of-context footnotes and sidebars, and other inconsistencies. Adjacent to each text file is a PDF of the article, which accurately and fully conveys the content as it appeared in the issue. The uncorrected text files have been included to enhance the searchability of our content, on our site and in search engines, for our membership, the research community and media organizations. We are working now to provide clean text files for the entire collection.
By A. D. Baker III, Editor, Combat Fleets of the World
One of the largest naval auxiliaries in the Soviet Pacific Ocean Fleet, the 34,151 gross-registered-ton float-on/ float-off cargo ship Anadyr, was completed in October 1988 by Wartsila in Finland, but various defects kept her in the Baltic until her delivery in the late summer of 1990. The 20-knot, 741-foot Anadyr has a large well-deck and two side- by-side helicopter hangars.
In what turned out to be part of a farewell tour for the East German Navy, the 1,750-ton cadet training ship Wilhelm Pieck (S41) visited Plymouth, England, in June 1990, supported by the 2,292-ton supply ship Darss (E441).
The Royal Navy commissioned its first Type 23-class guided-missile frigate, the 4,200-ton Norfolk, on 1 June 1990. Problems with the originally planned combat data system will handicap Norfolk, and probably the next five ships in the series, until the mid-1990s. Three sisters—Argyll, Lancaster, and Marlborough—are fitting out; six others are on order; and three or four more are to be ordered this month. The combined diesel-electric and gas turbine (CODLAG)-powered Type 23 is the first ship designed to carry the vertical-launch Sea Wolf point-defense surface-to-air missile system; she also carries eight Harpoon missiles, a 114-mm. and two 30-mm. guns, four torpedo tubes, and a helicopter.
Proceedings / December 1990