The first Peacock was an 18-gun sloop of war built by A. & N. Brown at New York, N. Y., under authority the Act of March 3, 1813. She was launched in September, 1813, and was completed in the following spring at a cost of $75,644. She was a ship-rigged wooden vessel of 509 tons, with the following dimensions: length, 117 ft. 11 in.; breadth, 31 ft. 6 in.; depth of hold, 10 ft. 6 in.; draft, 16 ft. 4 in. When first commissioned, she mounted two long 12-pounders and twenty 32-pounder carronades. In June, 1815, she carried only 18 broadside Suns, but in the following year her original battery was restored. The crew numbered 140 men.