Alongside the inner pier of Dewey Basin at the United States Naval Academy there is moored a graceful ship with a clipper bow supporting a tapering bowsprit and equipped with the two slender masts of a schooner. The name in gilded letters across her stern arrests the eye of the casual visitor who stops and ponders: “America, what does this name imply?” He draws nearer, reads the placard mounted on her gangplank, crosses to the deck of the vessel, and descends the open companionway to the cabin below. On the center bulkhead of the large cabin he finds a brass tablet bearing the following inscription:
WAS PLACED ON THIS VESSEL
OCTOBER 1, 1921
AFTER 48 YEARS OF PRIVATE
UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY
This promptly brings to mind that here at the Naval Academy is being preserved, after seventy years of most varied existence, the cherished old “fore-and-aft” rigged schooner that laid the very foundation of yachting tradition in America.