The various Coast Guard cutters automatically became part of the United States naval forces upon our declaration of war, and assumed the duties assigned by previous instructions. These cutters performed a variety of duties, mainly in American waters, until August, 1917, when the Manning, Algonquin, Yamacraw, Tampa, Seneca, and Ossipee were designated for overseas duty, to be based on Gibraltar. The first to reach Gibraltar was the Ossipee, on August 30, 1917, and the next was the Seneca, on September 4, 1917; the others arrived after brief intervals.
Reminiscences of World War Convoy Work
By Captain William J. Wheeler, U. S. Coast Guard