AN HISTORICAL RECORD OF THOSE NOW IN SERVICE AND OF THEIR PREDECESSORS OF THE SAME NAME
SOUTH CAROLINA.—One of the thirteen original states. The first permanent settlement was made by the English in 1670. It was separated from North Carolina in I729, and became a Crown colony. Many French Huguenots settled in the state, and, during the Revolution, many of the important battles of the war were fought on its soil.
The dreadnought South Carolina is the fourth ship of our navy to be named after the "Palmetto State." She was authorized by the act of Congress approved March 3, 1905, and launched at the yards of William Cramp & Sons, Philadelphia, Pa., on July 11, 1908. She is an armored steel vessel of 16,000 tons displacement, 450 feet length, 8o feet 21 inches breadth, and 24 feet 6 inches draft. Her engines are of the vertical triple-expansion type, of 18,357 h. p., which, on her trial trip, gave her a speed of 18.86 knots. Steam is furnished by 12 Babcock and Wilcox boilers.