The Norfolk Navy Yard was begun by the British before the War of the Revolution. During the war it passed into the hands of the State of Virginia and was continued as a ship yard. Finally, in 1800, it was purchased by the Federal Government from the State of Virginia for use as a Government navy yard. In its early days it was known as the Gosport Yard, from the name of the adjacent town. Gosport was absorbed by the city of Portsmouth, and the yard finally became known as the Norfolk Navy Yard to distinguish it from the Portsmouth Navy Yard in New Hampshire.
DEVELOPMENT IN AREA.