The last of the operating steam-powered stern-wheel tugboats in the United States, the Portland, is docked on Oregon’s Willamette River in downtown Portland, ready to receive visitors. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1997, she was the final one of her type to be constructed in the country. As soon as Northwest Marine Iron Works delivered her in 1947, the Port of Portland put the tug straight to work. Oceangoing vessels needed to be moved through the city’s narrow bridge spans, a task for which the rugged Portland was prepared thanks to her stern wheel and impressive propulsion power. She served until 1981, assisted ships docking, turning, and passing. A decade later, the boat was donated to the Oregon Maritime Museum.
Museum Report - Mighty Tugboat Displays Oregon's Maritime History
By Annie Rehill