Visit Baltimore's Liberty Ship and Museum
The SS John W. Brown, an EC2-S-C1-type Liberty ship, was built at Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard, Baltimore, Maryland, and launched in 1942. She was one of 2,751 emergency cargo ships constructed during World War II, in 18 yards around the United States. In 1988 Project Liberty Ship, Inc., acquired the Brown, which has since been designated a memorial museum ship and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Fully restored to her original configuration, she is one of two remaining operational Liberty ships; the other is the Jeremiah O’Brien in San Francisco.
Located on the ’tween deck of the John W. Brown’s number 2 cargo hold are three exhibits: Merchant Seamen, Liberty Ship History, and the U.S. Navy Armed Guard. A life-size mannequin in winter clothing points the way to a brimming collection of Armed Guard memorabilia from World War II.