Several years ago, the Naval Institute was raising funds to convert part of the former Annapolis Naval Hospital into new headquarters for the organization. A financial angel named Jack Schiff stepped forward. He had been a naval officer during World War II and retained warm memories of his service during his postwar career as a businessman. He provided a substantial gift that made the difference in the organization being able to move into offices that represented a substantial upgrade over Preble Hall, the building that had served the purpose since 1939.
Such a donation brings naming rights, and frequently a donor seeks to have his own on a structure. Not so Jack Schiff. He was as modest as he was generous and asked that the modernized building be named Beach Hall in honor of Captain Edward L. Beach and his namesake son, whose nickname was Ned. It was an ideal way of personifying the Naval Institute's mission and insignia, which features a crossed pen and sword. Each of the Beaches was both a warrior and widely published author.