In November 1915, a month after Lieutenant (j.g.) Marc Mitscher reported to Pensacola for flight training, the first shipboard catapult was tried on board the North Carolina. After four live shots it was dismantled.In July 1916, the installation of an improved model was completed and the ship left Pensacola to operate with the Atlantic fleet. At that time the Navy Department planned similar installations for the Seattle, Huntington, and Montana, with the intention of making a four-ship division of fleet scouts. The Montana's catapult was never installed. The Seattle's catapult was installed during a 1916 fall overhaul at Portsmouth, N. H. On 26 February 1917, Mare Island commenced installing the Huntington's catapult.