One of the handful of Russian warships to survive the 1905 Battle of Tsushima Strait met a humiliating end less than a decade later.
At the foot of Western Hill in George Town, on Malaysia’s Penang Island, is a curious monument. Located under a broad canopy of yellow acacia trees and sited among a jumble of white stone crosses, it is a vertical granite slab. Next to it stands a Russian Orthodox cross and a steel anchor whose chain wraps around the upright stone. Its inscription, in Russian, reads: “To the officers and men of the Russian Navy cruiser Zhemchug from their grateful motherland.”