The Finmeccanica North America
2013 Global Defense Burden
A U.S. Naval Institute Program
Funded by Finmeccanica North America
The Challenge: The Global Defense Burden: How Can the U.S. and its NATO allies & partners more effectively share roles, missions, technology and hardware?
About the Global Defense Burden Essay Contest. The contest will advance a high-level discussion about the future of technology and operational burden sharing. Capable allies of the United States, and our NATO partners in particular, are independently developing highly sophisticated new capabilities. How will the crucial partnerships involved set the stage for meaningful progress? This essay contest will examine the impact of sharing these technologies among allied naval forces as a bi-directional process. Contest submissions may also consider implications for joint forces. Papers will consider the opportunities, advantages and challenges. Contestants will be urged to consider historical examples and relate them to future scenarios.
* * Contest Highlights * *
· Call for Papers –The U.S. Naval Institute is calling for papers on the subject of sharing the Global Defense Burden as described above under “The Challenge.” Call for papers to appear in March Proceedings, and online March 1
· Eligibility – Currently serving members of our armed forces
· Deadline for Submission of Essays – June 30, 2013
· Length of Essays – Not to exceed 3,000 words
· Submission Process – Email essays by June 30 to: firstname.lastname@example.org 
· Review Process – A joint panel composed of the Proceedings editorial staff and editorial board shall judge essays and choose winners
· Announcement of Winners – By email to winners no later than August 1 and online announcement
· Publication of Winning Essay – September issue of Proceedings and online September 1
- 1st Prize $5,000 + One year Naval Institute membership
- 2st Prize $2,500 + One year Naval Institute membership
- 3rd Prize $1,500 + One year Naval Institute membership
Award Ceremony: Prize winners are honored as part of USNI’s Recognition ceremony during the Naval Institute's Annual Meeting, celebrating all those who have contributed to our Mission during the year. We will also invite representatives of Finmeccanica North America to be present to assist in the award presentation.
About Naval Institute Essay Contests. Essay contests have been central to the work of the Naval Institute for well over one hundred years. They directly fulfill the Institute’s educational mission by encouraging writing on issues of concern to the Sea Services. They provide thought-provoking articles that spur ongoing discussion of these same issues, not only in Naval Institute media, print and digital, but also in other leading defense and national security forums.