The Finmeccanica North America
2014 Global Defense Burden
A U.S. Naval Institute Program
Funded by Finmeccanica North America
The Global Defense Burden: How Can the U.S. and its NATO allies & partners more effectively share roles, missions, technology and hardware?
About the Global Defense Burden Essay Contest. In a constrained budget environment, how can the US realize the benefits of a globalizing defense market? Papers are welcome on any aspect of the topic from examining cost efficiency, improving innovation, industrial base implications, competition, scale, and technology transfer considerations. Contestants may cover any or all of these issues as long as they are examined within the context of leveraging the increasingly globalized defense market to provide the best defense for the Nation.
* * Contest Highlights * *
· Call for Papers –The U.S. Naval Institute is calling for papers on the subject of sharing the Global Defense Burden as described above under “The Challenge.” Call for papers to appear in March Proceedings, and online May 1, 2014
· Eligibility – Open to all currently or formerly serving, and civilians engaged in work or strategy associated with the global defense community.
· Deadline for Submission of Essays –
June 30, 2014 Extended to July 31, 2014
· Length of Essays – Not to exceed 3,000 words
· Submission Process – Email essays by
June 30, 2014 July 31, 2014 to: email@example.com  Include one paragraph bio. Authors grant USNI all perpetual publication rights in any and all media formats
· Review Process – A joint panel composed of the Proceedings editorial staff and editorial board shall judge essays and choose winners
· Announcement of Winners – By email and online to winners no later than
July 31, 2014 August 15, 2014
· Publication of Winning Essay – To be determined
1st Prize $5,000 + One year membership in the USNI
2st Prize $2,500 + One year membership in the USNI
3rd Prize $1,500 + One year membership in the USNI
Award Ceremony: Prize winners are honored as part of USNI’s Recognition ceremony during the Naval Institute's Annual Meeting. We will also invite representatives of Finmeccanica North America to be present to assist in the award presentation.
About Naval Institute Essay Contests. Essay contests have been central to the work of the Naval Institute for well over one hundred years. They directly fulfill the Institute’s educational mission by encouraging writing on issues of concern to the Sea Services. They provide thought-provoking articles that spur ongoing discussion of these same issues, not only in Naval Institute media, print and digital, but also in other leading defense and national security forums.