The Mine Warfare Association
2014 Naval Mine Warfare
A U.S. Naval Institute Program
Funded by the Mine Warfare Association (MINWARA)
The Challenge: To encourage an ongoing discussion concerning the strategic impact of mining, mine countermeasures operations, unmanned vehicle utilization in mine warfare, new technologies that could improve mining or mine countermeasures, and improved concepts of operations.
* * Contest Highlights * *
· Call for Papers – The Mine Warfare Association and U.S. Naval Institute are calling for papers on the subject of mine warfare as described above under “The Challenge.” Call for papers to appear in April Proceedings, and online April 1, 2014
· Deadline for Submission of Essays – May 1, 2014
· Length of Essays – Not to exceed 3,000 words
· Submission Process – Email essays by May 1, 2014 to: email@example.com 
· Review Process – A joint panel composed of experts from MINWARA and the Proceedings editorial staff shall judge essays and choose winners
· Announcement of Winners – By email to winners no later than June 1, 2014 and online announcement
· Publication of Winning Essay – August issue of Proceedings and online August 1, 2014
History of the Contest: In 2012 the Mine Warfare Association leadership approached the U.S. Naval Institute with the idea of sponsoring an essay contest exploring the subject of mine warfare. The Institute was immediately interested in supporting such a program, and agreed to an inaugural essay contest in 2013, with the objective of making it an annual event going forward.
Awards: 1st Prize $1,000 + One year membership in the USNI
2nd Prize $500 + One year membership in the USNI
3rd Prize $250 + One year membership in the USNI
Award Ceremony: Prize winners are recognized as part of USNI’s Recognition ceremony during the annual invitation-only Naval Institute Annual Meeting, celebrating all those who have contributed to our Mission during the year. We will also invite representatives of the Mine Warfare Association to be present to assist in the award presentation.