On 22 April, Argentina's 12,000-ton Antarctic support ship and icebreaker Almirante Irizar suffered a serious fire in her generator room while returning from a deployment. The fire, which reportedly reached temperatures far in excess of 1,000 degrees, forced the evacuation of nearly all 300 crew members and scientists on board the vessel. The ship's captain, Guillermo Tarapow, remained on board ship with a skeleton crew to direct successful firefighting efforts. Recent media reports indicate that 85 percent of the ship was protected from damage, though extensive repairs will be required to rebuild the remaining 15 percent destroyed in the conflagration. Once the blaze was brought under control, the vessel was towed to the home waters of Puerto Belgrano, where she awaits repairs that are estimated to take up to two years. Launched on 3 February 1978, Almirante Irizar was built at Wärtsilä shipyard in Helsinki, Finland. Among many other missions throughout her career, the icebreaker was used as a hospital ship during the 1982 Falklands/Malvinas War.